Being married to a teacher, I can see the excitement begin to bubble up when the days of spring move closer and closer to the end of May - summer break is on the way! And then there are the first couple weeks of August - inching closer and closer to the beginning of school. I think we are on an hour by hour countdown at this point! Before long, all of the area schools will be back in session and the "normal" life will return. Summer is a blast - while it lasts - but the calendar waits for no one! Back to school we go. Several thoughts this morning as we move toward "normal" once again:
** Blessings to all of our college students who are in the process of beginning or continuing their post HS journey. LCU had their new student move-in on Saturday and Marla and I will be moving Peyton in to SIU on Thursday of this week! If you see some of our college students around, wish them the best of luck and take a moment to pray for them. I can still remember August of 1987 and my first week at then Lincoln Christian College - it was truly the best, and worst, of times. Let's lift up our students in prayer!
** This week brings several important events and opportunities for our community and our church:
- This Saturday August 18 - the Clinton Y is hosting both a 5K trail run and a sprint Triathlon at Clinton Lake. It is NOT too late for you to sign up! Call the Y at 935-8307 for more info.
- This Saturday August 18 - Mobile Food Pantry at the American Legion - FCC is in charge of providing volunteers - can you help? Let Cody Monkman know if you are able!
- This Sunday August 19 - Little Galilee Connections Event for our church from 4-7pm! Zipline! Pool! Taco Truck! This event is for EVERYONE! Come on out to one of God's special places, check out the progress on the new Dining Hall, and connect with people you don't normally interact with on Sundays at FCC!
Speaking of Little Galilee, they once again had over 2,000 youth campers this summer and at least 118 baptisms! Praise the Lord!
** We continue our sermon study through the book of James this week, looking at the last part of chapter 1, verses 19-27. Key ideas: the importance of LISTENING; the importance of SILENCE; the problem of ANGER; James defines "PURE RELIGION". Don't miss this Sunday!
** Mexico Mission Trip - well done Gage, Ryan and crew! Two houses in less than four days! Blessings to all who both participated on the trip or gave financially!
** Block Party IV - 5-7pm on Sunday September 9 - start spreading the news! ALL are welcome!
** Rooted - it's rolling out soon! 115 were part of the Rooted session from April - June - let's get another 100 this time as well! September 9 is the launch date! Are YOU in?
** BSF - Bible Study Fellowship - returns to DeWitt County - hosted by our church! Last year, our building hosted a ladies group on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-8pm. This year, we are honored to host both Women's and Men's groups on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-8pm beginning Tuesday September 11. Here are a couple of facts about BSF:
- BSF stands for Bible Study Fellowship - a 90 minute weekly gathering where the Bible is studied - there is weekly homework required between meetings.
- BSF is NOT an FCC thing, although many from FCC will attend! It is simply Christians from all over and from different churches gathering together to study the Bible.
- BSF is an international ministry not tied to any denomination or "brand" of Christianity.
- If you are interested, you will need to sign up through BSF - contact our office and they will get you everything you need!
** Coming Home Sunday - save the date - Sunday November 18!
Finally this morning, I want to announce a change to our men's study group, RELOAD. We will continue to meet twice each month, but we are relocating our study to the Y and changing the day to Friday. Here are the details:
- Reload will meet on the first and third Fridays of each month in the community room of the Clinton Y at 6:15am - we will study together for 45 minutes.
- Details are still being worked out, but more than likely, we will no longer have a hot breakfast, but instead coffee (hopefully) and light breakfast items (cereal bars, fruit, etc). Men will be welcome to fellowship beginning at 6am and our study time will start at 6:15am.
- Our hope is to see men from other churches, or those who have no church, join us as study together. I'm personally looking forward to living out this call to practice the UNITY of all believers!
- Our first gathering will take place on Friday morning September 7 - spread the word!
Thanks to Rennie Cluver and the team at the Y for agreeing to host this gathering!
Have a great week - see you Sunday!
Weekly update on what's happening at FCC! Glad you're here!