As I sit on the couch in my living room early on December 26, Sadie and I are the only ones up on this cold, dark morning. 7 degrees outside and the snow and ice make the morning walk a challenge - who wanted all of this white stuff? Yet with coffee in hand and fleece covering most of body, I'm able to reflect - that is what I want to do for a couple of minutes this morning:
* What a blessing Christmas Eve at FCC turned out to be! Just over 500 at our 9:30am ONE SERVICE Sunday despite snow most of the day! Almost 500 for our 4pm Christmas Eve service! Right at 200 for our 6pm Christmas Eve service! I'm no math major, but that totals 1200 in worship on Christmas Eve - yes I realize many attended both the morning and evening gatherings, but I'm truly blown away and thankful at these numbers - especially considering the winter weather advisory and such!
* Speaking of Christmas Eve, Samuel and Ruth planned the 9:30am service together - and it was such a great service - thanks a great UNITY service Samuel and Ruth! It was really awesome to hear our choir share with us!
* Speaking of Christmas Eve at 4pm and 6pm, Samuel Green and his team did another great job - I absolutely LOVE our Christmas Eve services at FCC! If you didn't get a chance to attend, you can find video of the service at my Facebook page - thanks to Ben Pertl for videoing! Many have asked about the children's video - it was produced by Southland Christian Church in Lexington, KY and you can find it on youtube.
* December was a great month at FCC! Here are some of the blessings from this month:
- Young at Heart - our revitalized YAH ministry made its mark in December with a trip to Christmas in the Chapel and their December large group gathering!
- ONE 27 blesses many - Cody and team made dozens of fleece blankets on Saturday December 2 and these gifts were given out the following week - great idea coming from the Neighborhood Care Center!
- Choir Cantata preview on December 3 - hundreds were blessed by the music of Christmas from various church choirs - hosted by FCC!
- Keepsake Christmas by FIRST KIDS on December 13 - 150 children, family and others gather to learn about Christmas and create their own nativity!
- Grab n Go - December 16 - over 300 from our community are blessed by YOU!
- Elder/Staff and Spouse caroling night at Liberty Village on December 19 - good times singing blessings!
Three reminders of upcoming events:
** THIS Sunday - ONE SERVICE Sunday at 9:30am - FAMILY SUNDAY - we will be looking at Christmas through the eyes of the Magi
** Thursday January 4 at 6:30pm - Area Men's Fellowship at FCC - not the change in day and time! 90 minute gathering will include at AWESOME meal and good fellowship! ALL men are welcome! This monthly group blesses Little Galilee camp!
** Tuesday January 9 - RELOAD for men in the Family Life Center at 6am!
I leave you this week w/ a poem from Chuck Swindoll on the Christmas hangover:
Twas the day after Christmas, when all through the place,
There were arguments and depression- even Mom had a long face.
The stockings hung empty, and the house was a mess;
The new clothes didn't fit and dad was under stress.
The family was irritable, and the children-no one could please;
Because the instructions for the swing set were in Chinese!
The bells no longer jingled, and no carolers came around;
The sink was stacked with dishes, and the tree was turning brown.
The stores were full of people returning things that fizzled and failed,
And the shoppers were discouraged because everything they'd bought was now on half-price sale!
Twas the day AFTER Christmas- the spirit of joy had disappeared;
The hope on the horizon was twelve bowl games the first day of the New Year!
blessings to each of you! See you Sunday!
Weekly update on what's happening at FCC! Glad you're here!