This week we launched a brand new sermon study at FCC entitled FCC's Big 3 - three sin struggles we self-identified as a congregation last February during our Spiritual Formation survey. Three big struggles: PRIDE, GOSSIP and ANGER. Three sins that keep us from being ALL we are called to be as follower of Jesus. Three sins that might not seem quite as extreme as some - they even be referred to at times as "lesser" sins. Of course, there is no such thing - sin is sin, and anything that hold us back in our walk with Jesus isn't good - it isn't acceptable - and it can cause spiritual destruction and even spiritual death in our lives.
This week, we looked at PRIDE - several "pictures" from the Bible of PRIDE bringing trouble - from the Fall in Genesis 3 to the fall of a great king (Uzziah) in 2 Chronicles 26 to Jesus' parable in Luke 18 about the Pharisee and the Tax Collector and finally, Jesus warning Peter in Mark 14 of his impending denial during the terrible of events of passion week. Each of these pictures should remind us how problematic PRIDE can be - if Adam and Eve and Uzziah and even Peter were brought down by PRIDE, we certainly can be as well.
So whats the answer? One word - Humility! "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6 and 1 Peter 5:5) The challenge is really easy to type - and really difficult to live out: More of Jesus - Less of Me. More "Attitude like that of Christ Jesus" - Less of Self. How can you model HUMILITY in Jesus this week?
* This Sunday we tackle GOSSIP - if you have any testimonies or perspectives on the problem/sin of Gossip, I would love to hear them!
* THIS Tuesday at 6am - RELOAD for Men in the Family Life Center
* THIS Sunday October 15 - DOUGHNUT SUNDAY from 9-10:30am in the Family Life Center, our latest and greatest connections event - also, tours of the Care Center (formerly the Cable Building) and the Underground (formerly the Fellowship Hall) will be offered.
* Wednesday October 25 - Seniors Day at Little Galilee - if you go w/ YAH, you are FREE!
* Thursday October 26 - Ladies Night Out at 6:30pm in the Family Life Center
* Discover FCC - Sunday morning November 12 at 9:30am in the Family Life Center Alcove - come learn about FCC's History, Theology and Ministries!
* Additional Food Pantry hours begin NEXT WEEK - in addition to Tuesday and Thursday from 1-3pm, the Food Pantry will now be open on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month from 4:30-6pm - this begins on October 17.
* Stewardship - thanks to Mark Behrends for sharing about the current state of finances at FCC on October 1 - please prayerfully consider what the Lord might be calling you to do in terms of financial giving.
Have a great week - see you Sunday!