Yesterday marked the first Sunday of 2019 I was not at Clinton FCC - Marla and I enjoyed a weekend away in the Terre Haute, Indiana area as we attended Peyton's final track and field meet of his freshman season at SIU - the outdoor conference meet. It was a blessed weekend for several reasons . . .
** It is always good to get away and spend time with Marla - I am so blessed by her unconditional love and support. Most don't see the ugly side of ministry - the stress, anxiety and pain - but Marla has had a front row seat for almost 31 years! Thankfully, I have been blessed much more than most through the years but this much I know: Marla has been a continual blessing and source of encouragement in good times and difficult seasons! I'm so blessed!
** It was a blast to watch Peyton throw personal bests in both Shot Put and Discus, finishing 5th in DIscus as his first season of college track and field concludes! It was a lot of fun to meet several of his teammates and their families and to get to talk with a couple of the coaches. I keep saying this but its true: Time flies when you are doing life, so treasure every moment mom and dad - it will be over before you know it!
** This weekend in Terre Haute brought not just the MVC outdoor championships, but also graduation at Indiana State University. As a result, hotel rooms were crazy expensive. So - Greg and Marla ventured into a brand new world of overnight lodging: Airbnb (I realize we are about 5 years late to this party). We stayed in cozy Marshall, IL at the 100 year old plus Pancake House - and what a blessing! We loved our first Airbnb experience - it will NOT be our last!
** I only get to do this a couple of times each year, but I was able to experience what it is like to be a first time visitor at a church where NO ONE knows your name! I really enjoyed visiting First Christian Church of Marshall, IL but experienced the uncomfortable feeling of being a visitor and it made me so thankful for everyone at Clinton FCC that goes out of their way to help people overcome this! I loved the message during morning worship - Acts 2:42 and the power of being committed to teaching and the Word! Good stuff!
** Yesterday was Mother's Day - I'm super thankful for Marla and the great mother she is to Jordan and Peyton. I'm forever grateful for all my mother Dorothy and my mother-in-law Lavina have done for me and my family through the years. My cup overflows!
Several quick reminders and thank you's:
* Yesterday brought the end of the year Choir Cantata - thanks so much to Ruth Davidson and the choir!
* Thanks to Ed Bacon from Northeast Community Fund in Decatur for preaching during the 10:45am service from 1 Kings 3 and the power of Wisdom!
* Friday May 17 - our last RELOAD for Men until fall at the Clinton Y at 6:15am
* Sunday May 19 - Graduate Sunday at FCC - see Ben Pertl if you would like your HS or College graduate recognized in the bulletin insert.
* Sunday May 26 at 9:30am - ONE SERVICE Sunday at FCC - no programming at 8:15 or 10:45 on May 26.
* VBS at Clinton FCC - June 10-14
* Sunday June 23 - Congregational Meetings at the conclusion of both morning worship services to affirm those men nominated and approved to serve as Elder. The ballot will be announced and published on June 9.
Have a great week - see you Sunday!
Weekly update on what's happening at FCC! Glad you're here!